General Session Minutes
March 12, 2003
Sunrise at Wigwam Homeowners Association
PO BOX 25466
TEMPE, AZ 85285
- Meeting was called to order by Keith Brown at 7:10 p.m.
- It was decided immediately that a Quorum was not present, therefore board elections would not take place.
- Minutes from last Annual meeting were reviewed and discussed. A request was made for more specific items to be listed on the minutes.
- Keith Brown mentioned the new web site www.wigwamhoa.com where residents could obtain more information about our community.
- Finance Update:
- Specific questions discussion on collection costs - concerned that they were more than the delinquency. It was also stated by the HOA board that the collection costs are billed to the delinquent homeowner not the HOA board. Also for homeowners who are delinquent, they would be charged interest for any outstanding balances.
- Further discussion on the differences between delinquent fees and HOA fines. Specifically mentioned the second line in delinquency resident income (on the balance sheet) it is the actual income that is coming in late.
- Peri (representative from the management company) responded to the question: "Shouldn't delinquency be an expense on an income statement?" - It is not an expense, because it is collected in the following month.
- Keith Brown added that out of the $7500 outstanding balance, this month they (collection company) had collected $1600.
- HOA pays collection agency - we are billed monthly for services rendered.
- Questions were raised if collection agencies were the only way to collect bad debt.
Peri responded with the procedure - notices are sent immediately after the 30th when payment is late. By the end of the 2nd month (w/no payment) a demand letter is sent. At approximately 90 days late the account has been sent to the collection company.
- Further discussion developed over landscaping costs. ($6800 per month) What exactly are the landscapers doing? The bushes are too long, unkempt, many plants are dying, grass too long etc. Can we switch? After lengthy discussion, the following was agreed to:
- The board would actively pursue bids from other landscape contractors to be discussed at May meeting.
- A sub committee of homeowners was formed: they will report on suggestions for added foliage, and point out other specific areas were the landscapers fail to properly maintain the trees/plants etc.
- Community Update:
- Peri described the play/park area - damage done to that area with a fire in the picnic area. ($$)
- Discussed the red light going off with high water - Peri asked homeowners to call her if light is going off -- Peri (480) 820-3451
- Also discussed proposed church/school (Christ Community Church) at 144th St and Indian School Bypass empty lot. There will be a zoning meeting at City Hall 6:00 p.m. Thursday night (tomorrow night) to discuss the proposal.
- Open Discussion:
- Need for more involvement by homeowners. Not very many present at tonight's meeting.
- Need more feedback on what has happened and how it is handled.
- Question/statement was raised to have all requests to board in writing all homeowners should be able to put their requests in writing so that action can take place.
- Asked to have a monthly newsletter. (We are budgeted for 4 newsletters a year - Peri will have a newsletter within the next month. Any home owner with a business who would like to advertise was encouraged to call Peri.)
- Annual meeting discussion - need to put on notices - mandatory annual meeting - and that a quorum is needed of 45 home owners.
- Mention of a community picnic.
- Request of the management company to list how many notices for violations, and types of violations within a month.
- Request for open board meetings made, and agreed to. Home owners are welcome at executive board meeting but are not permitted to speak during the meeting.
- City street sweeping is done every 3 weeks.
- Plea to use the web site!
- Meeting was adjourned at 8:29 p.m.